The back is a mass of nerves, muscles and bones that cause us no end of trouble. Here are some interesting things that you may or may not know about the back. How we treat it at work is very important and this is why employers should supply you with a set of Draughtsman Chairs like those available from https://www.bestbuy-officechairs.co.uk/office-chairs/draughtsman-chairs/. These will offer you the support that you need.
- How many muscles? Exactly one hundred and twenty. This is why you can bend it about so much.
- Expanding and contracting cartilage in the spine helps you to stretch. When you wake up in the morning you are actually taller. Go into space for a bit and you’ll get taller again!
- The spine has a memory. Good in some ways but not others. The only problem is If you have a bad posture your spine will remember it.
- A large percentage of us will suffer from some kind of back pain at some point. The most common is the condition of sciatica the worst is a slip desk.
- Giraffes may have long necks but they have precisely the same number of vertebrae as we do.
- Not that you’d want to test it too many times but the spine has incredible strength. It can take a considerable amount of weight.
- The spine is very bendy. It can make two thirds of a circle.
- Back pain usually occurs in the lower back. We bend, twist and stretch so much that it puts it under a lot of pressure. Apparently this a flaw of evolution as we now walk upright.